Sunday 8 August 2010

Is There Life After High School? By Audra Thrower

This article is reproduced from The King's Daughter's Website. It is interesting to me as I went down the conventional road of Uni and then a 'professional' career. I have to say that, aside from meeting my lovely hubby, I can't say that I gained much from Uni that was positive. I did accrue a sinful lifestyle and a load of debt; I so wish I had followed the author's path and chosen to train for my current role as a wife and mother. We would love to hear of your experiences in this area.
www.thekingsdaughtermag.com


Graduation. A day filled with excitement, family, and fun. But underneath it all lies the question, “What happens next?” With thousands of possibilities in the world, which one should you choose?

I would like to take a moment and tell you in a few words the path I have chosen.
I graduated in May of 2002, and I am very busy with my “higher education” J. Our family has chosen not to go the way of “normal” college, so I shall complete my studies here at home.
Because I am very interested in home skills, and believe that God has called me to be a wife and mother someday, my mother has put together an extensive home economics course for me. I make at least three full meals a week (at least, that was the plan; I cook almost every meal J). I am now in charge of cleaning, hunting for recipes, washing muddy children J, and mega cooking. I enjoy it very much, especially the mega cooking.
Mega cooking is when I set a day aside and make multiple batches of food to freeze. It makes food preparation easy, and helps out when in a pinch. For example, on a given day I make fifteen loaves of bread and five pizza crusts. Then we have pizza for supper – yum!
Another aspect of my home economics course is teaching younger siblings (or child training J). I share the teaching of my younger brother with my dad. I teach my brother math one or two days a week. It is really fun to see how he is learning! Teaching my brother also lightens my mother’s load so she is free to teach the other children and run the household.
Here are some suggestions for the new graduate, or for those approaching that milestone:

  1. Write down the things that you are interested in.

  2. Talk over your list with your parents. They have lived longer than you and can give you many helpful insights for the future.

  3. Pray about your choice(s).

  4. Come back to your list after a week or so and reevaluate what you have written. You would be surprised at what can change!

  5. Choose from your list a few of the items that you are most interested in.

May God bless you in this important time in your life! Keep your eyes on the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment